A classic nordic recipe, the sautéed reindeer meat is served with mashed potato, forest mushrooms and lingonberries; a dish that will keep you going even on the coldest winter day.
- Number of people: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Degree of difficulty: Easy
- 400 g of reindeer chuck (pre-sliced)
- 500 g of potatoes
- 2 yellow onions
- 20 cl of cream
- 1 tsp. cognac
- 20 cl of milk
- 100 g butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- pinch of nutmeg
- couple of sprigs of parsley
- salt & pepper
- for serving: pickles, lingonberries, parsley
- Finely chop onion and separate the meat into small even pieces on a plate.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into quarters and cook for 20 minutes after boiling.
- Pre-heat a pan with a tbsp of oil.
- Add the onion into the pan and lower the heat to medium, let the onion caramelise and get transparent.
- Add the fine pieces of the reindeer meat and let it sear with the onion, toss the pan frequently.
- Add cream and stir, add the soya and stir finish of with the cognac and let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, heat milk in a pan add the potatoes and mash them with a fork, incorporate the nutmeg, whisk until a smooth even consistency.
- To serve, divide the mash and the meat on plates to with pickled cornichons, lingonberries and a bit of chopped parsley.